What a year it has been at The Center for LGBTQ and Gender Studies in Religion (CLGS)! Since 2000 we have offered high-quality, innovative programs that make a genuine difference in the lives of LGBTQ people, our communities of faith, and our families. While we are proud of all our work over the years, I believe that 2018 has truly been exceptional. Here are just a few highlights of our work this year:
- Expanded work on religious liberty with new national partnerships, on-the-ground trainings, and collaborations with faith leaders who believe that religion should never be used to discriminate;
- New connections with faith leaders in Puerto Rico, sponsored by our Latinx Roundtable. This incredibly productive Roundtable continues its amazing work, regularly adding new resources in Spanish, Portuguese, and English. More resources are planned for next year!
- Cutting-edge programs such as our new Jewish Queeries Series, featuring some of the most interesting speakers in the contemporary Jewish community, our annual Harkness and Boswell Lectures, and a recent national gathering of LGBTQ Jewish religious leaders sponsored by our Jewish Roundtable, which continues to grow;
- Vibrant conversations, mentoring, and scholarship marked the 6th Souls ‘A Fire Conference, bringing together Black queer theologians, pastors, activists, and other community members;
- A newly designed website for our LGBT Religious Archives Network, inviting easier access to its award-winning online exhibitions, growing collection of profiles, and other resources; and
- Weekly posts on our blog and other social media outlets that help communities of faith increase their welcome of LGBTQ people, respond to current events, and address the spiritual needs of our communities.
As excited as we are about our efforts in 2018, we are equally thrilled about the programs we are planning for the year ahead. We hope that you will join us—in person or online—for these vibrant events.
I invite you to show your support for our work by considering a gift of $100 or more this year. If that is not possible, know that we deeply appreciate whatever amount you can give to ensure the wellbeing of LGBTQ people everywhere. Thank You for your support of CLGS!
Bernard S. Schlager, PhD | Executive Director